On one page I can’t possibly tell you everything you need to know. But I can tell you a few things I know with absolute conviction:
Like every child, every pregnancy and every birth will be different.
Pay attention. Don’t miss what is in front of you by looking to hard for what comes next.
There will be surprises along the way. Some are good, some are not. But all of them will grow you as a human being.
You will have your own “firsthand experience”, and it will teach you things from a whole new perspective.
Keep sharing what you learn with those who are hungry to know. Be gracious with those who profess to already “know” – they might not be where you are yet, and they may be growing in a different direction.
For more helpful resources, check out the following links:
Pregnancy and Birth
- The Greater Charlottesville Improving Pregnancy Outcomes Workgroup – Pregnancy & Parenting Resource Guide for Pregnant Women and Families with Young Children
- Lamaze International – Healthy Birth Practices
- Evidence Based Birth – Non-biased, evidence-based information on lots of hot birth topics
- The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists – Approaches to Limit Intervention During Labor and Birth
- Fetal Positioning for pregnancy comfort and easier birth
- Having a baby? 10 Questions to ask
- Postpartum Support Virginia – Here you will find support groups that meet in your area, facts about postpartum anxiety and depression, screening and diagnosis as well as listings of local resources that you can access for your specific location.
- Kelly Mom – Breastfeeding and Parenting
- La Leche League of Virginia and West Virginia – Lists local meetups and councilors
Just for Fun
- Childbirth Connection – Your Body throughout Pregnancy
- Baby Center – How big is my baby? Week-by-week fruit and veggie comparisons
- The Birth Partner, 4th Edition by Penny Simkin, PT
- The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding: Seventh Revised Edition by La Leche League International
- The Simple Guide to Having a Baby by Penny Simkin, Janet Whalley, Ann Keppler, & Joe Gredler