There are many regular events and helpful resources for new moms in the greater Charlottesville area. Check out a few I recommend below:
Support Groups for New Moms
- The Women’s Initiative New Moms Support Group – Meets every Monday 10-11:30 a.m. at Bend Yoga, 420 E. Main Street. Call 434-872-0047 for more info.
- The Women’s Initiative Mothering Circle of C’ville – Meets 4th Wednesdays from 7-9 p.m. at 1101 E. High Street, Suite A. Call 434-872-0047 for more info.
- Birth Matters Charlottesville Birth Circle – Meets 3rd Mondays at 7:15 p.m. at Bend Yoga, 420 E. Main Street.
- Becoming Great Moms – Meets Every Wednesday 9:30-11 a.m. at Immanuel Lutheran Church, 2416 Jefferson Park Avenue. Call 434-218-3738 for more info.
- Postpartum Support Virginia – Hope and help for new moms. Tons of online resources available including facts about postpartum anxiety and depression, screening information, as well as names of local councilors.
- La Leche League of C’ville Evening Breastfeeding Support Group – Meets 1st Mondays at 7 p.m. at Bend Yoga, 420 E. Main Street. Call 434-214-0620 for more info.
- La Leche League of C’ville Morning Breastfeeding Support Group – Meets 2nd Wednesdays at 10 a.m. at Westminster Church, 400 Rugby Road. Call 434-214-0620 for more info.
- Breastfeeding Support of C’ville Nursing Moms Support Group – Meets every Wednesday 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. at Northside Library, 705 Rio Road W. OR every Friday 12:30-1:30 p.m. at Bend Yoga, 420 E. Main Street. Call 434-373-0606 for more info.
- WIC (Women Infants and Children) – Pregnant and breastfeeding clients may be eligible for peer counselors, lactation consultants, breast pumps, and breastfeeding supplies. Contact Mary Hintz at 434-972-6247 for more info.
- National Breastfeeding Helpline – Call 800-994-9662. Available 9 am to 6 pm or leave a voicemail after hours. Consejeros estan disponibles en Espanoil. Abierto de 9 a.m.-6 p.m. o dejar un mensaje de voz despues de horas.
Both local hospitals also offer a range of classes and support to pregnant, nursing and postpartum moms. Lots are free and some are not. Check their websites to verify day/time of meetings and if registration is needed. In fact, I would recommend that you call or check on-line to confirm the day/time and location of all meetings…especially if it involves bundling one (or several) babies for the trek!